POPCORN WORDS: HIM. JUMP
WRITING: We began the week by listing facts we knew about goats. There were a lot of good facts. Then we read informational books about goats to gather more facts. The kinders incorporated these facts into their writing as they created another book of All About Goats using the format of Goats have _____. Goats can ____. Goats are ____. The kinders are doing a fantastic job with their informational writing. They have made incredible progress this year in their writing. I am so proud of their hard work.
FAIRY TALES….THE THREE BILLY GOATS GRUFF: Our fairy tale this week was about 3 brave goats who had courage to cross a bridge and deal with a bully, the troll. We read the original story and a few different versions of the fun fairy tale. Again, we used the SHAPE GO map to help us retell the story, talk about the characters, setting and heart of the story. We discussed words that described the three goats and the troll. This led into a good discussion about what we can do if we encounter a bully. We also had an awesome discussion about what makes a hero. We thought the biggest billy goat was like a hero for saving his little brothers. We ended the week by having fun making our own trolls.
MATH: We focused on number partners this week. We completed pages inside of our math workbooks and played games. One game was called The Hiding Zero Game. This game focused on practicing teen numbers, each teen number is made by replacing the zero in the ten with a number that tells how many ones there are. For example, 14=10+4. Pigs in the Pen was another fun game. Lay out 10 objects. One partner closes their eyes while the other partner removes some of the “pigs”. Open eyes and say “6 pigs in the pen. How many more pigs to make ten?” (6+4=10) Lima Bean Shake was a third game we played. We also reviewed sorting by completing a book called Bonkers for Buttons and actually sorting objects.
LITERACY/PHONICS: We worked on these skills….
- letters that work together to make a single sound – we looked at the sound s makes, the sound h makes and then the sound they make when they are together (sh)
- sorting pictures that start with s, h and sh
- making words in the word family -UM
- writing and reading CVC words (consonant-vowel-consonant)
- reading the story of The 3 Billy Goats Gruff and retelling it using the props we made
READING: We learned that non-fiction readers think of new words that they are learning and write them down. Readers sometimes need to be detectives and use clues on the whole page to figure out the meaning of words, reminding themselves to not read too fast so that you don’t miss important facts.
KOOL KINDER AND THE SURPRISE BAG AND THE GUESSING BAG: The items this week were seashells and a stuffed lion. We also started a new activity for being the Kool Kinder. Be on the lookout for the GUESSING BAG. You will need to fill the GUESSING BAG with a number of the same objects (1-50). Then the kinders will try to guess the number. A fun way to practice estimating, number identification and making groups of 10 and extra ones. So far we have tried to guess the number of cotton balls, mini marshmallows and chocolate chips.
BIRTHDAY CELEBRATIONS: We celebrated 3 birthdays this week. Thank you so much for the birthday gift treats!
- Bring 2 snacks each day to school and a water bottle with a spill proof lid please.
- Return take home books and library books on Wednesday
- Watch the weather. Please keep in mind that even though the season is spring, some days will be cold, wet, rainy and maybe snowy :(. Please continue to send a hat and mittens, along with a coat, with your kinder. Boots are not needed unless it snows or rains. Thanks!
- Change of clothes check. Be sure to check the extra clothes baggy in your kinder’s backpack that they are season and size appropriate. With spring weather, recess can sometimes get messy.
*Monday, April 19—MUSIC
*Tuesday, April 20—GYM
*Wednesday, April 21—ART; TAKE HOME BOOKS & LIBRARY Don’t forget your books!
*Thursday, April 22—STEAM If your kinder would like a sack lunch from the lunch service, please email me or write a note by Thursday, 4/22
*Friday, April 23–EXTRA RECESS Fast Friday (Early Release) 12:15 p.m. Dismissal
***Have a wonderful weekend. Mrs. Bohl