St. Patrick’s Day Fun

Happy St. Patrick’s Day! 

I am reminded each day of how LUCKY I am to have a fabulous job doing what I love, to have a family who loves me and to have 28 awesome kinders to make my days exciting and full.  

Here is a fun way to practice writing and making a fun craft while at home.  Brainstorm with your kinder reasons why they feel lucky. Then help your kinder to write those reasons on a paper, using the example I have shown below to organize their reasons under the appropriate column…….CAN    AM    HAVE   

Finally, have fun making the shamrock craft.  Your kinder can write “I feel lucky” on the stem of the shamrock.  They can choose 4 of their favorite reasons and write one reason on each of the shamrock leaves.  Don’t forget to write BECAUSE at the beginning of your reason.   Example:  because I am kind.  When they are done writing, be sure to add some color and cut it out.

We are so lucky that your kinder may need to make more than one shamrock!  🙂 . Don’t forget to have your kinder help in preparing a fun St. Patrick’s Day supper with you.  A great way to incorporate math, reading, and a bit of fun in your meal preparations.  You are welcome to send pictures of your finished work.

Here is another way to incorporate different math skills into the FIND THE POT OF GOLD game that was sent home last week. 

1.  To practice addition, have the person who is guessing where the pot of gold might be hidden give number partners for a number.  Example:  say 3+4.  The person who hid the pot of gold would turn over number 7. 
  2.  To practice subtraction, use the same directions.  Example: say 7-1. The person who hid the pot of gold would turn over number 6. 
  3.  To practice teen numbers, have the person who is guessing where the pot of gold might be hidden give number partners for a teen number.  Example:  say 10+3.  The person who hid the pot of gold would turn over number 13.